Friday, January 22, 2010

My Private Moment with David Carradine


By Kelly Granite Enck

As Dr. Seuss would say, “Just tell yourself, Duckie, you're really quite lucky! ...

My friend was making a documentary on the Universal Energy Force that is all around us
that we can call on at anytime for assistance. He lined up an interview with David Carradine
and Grand Master Kam Yuen and invited me to the private rooftop question and answer
session with these two masters of "Kung Fu."

The interesting part about this interview was that I knew nothing about "Kung Fu".  The situation reminded me of another moment of great luck that every guy would die for. I was working for Industrial Light and Magic and for my first project was assigned to the re-working the original Star Wars shots for the new DVD box set.  My first task was to composite a new cleaned up tunnel behind, what I called, "The Hairy Monster".  During the screening of my new effect shots, my reference to "The Big Hairy Monster" brought a roar of laughter and my friend told me, “Oh, My God that’s Chewbacca!"

Standing on the roof with Carradine and Kung Fu Master Kam Yuen was another
“Chewbacca”  moment. I had not watched the TV show or Kung Fu films and was kind
of lost to what this BIG MOMENT was. Until these two men started sharing their stories
with the camera. I stood behind that lens and heard what I never expected to hear, a story
about true love between two real men and a little more understanding about Karma and Instinct!

Carradine shared that 17 years ago the studios hired a great Kung Fu Master to fly from China
to LA to teach him the moves for his new TV show! Carradine said, that he was blown away by
the discipline, the spiritual connection to energy and life related to Kung Fu, the mind control,
the grace and the instinct that was needed to be a great warrior. He was so enamored by Master Yuen that after a few weeks he asked if he could sleep in the back of Yuen’s studio that he was using to train
Carradine in.

For two years Carradine lived in a tiny room in the back of this studio having abandon his mansion
on the beach to be near his new master. One night while Carradine was on a date he lost his key to get into the studio and he went to Master Yuen and asked for a new key and the Master said, “NO, Go home!” Carradine had a smirk of smile on his face as if he truly knew that every thing that happened between the two of them was a lesson in discipline, strength, and instinct. They had become best friends, basically inseparable for 17 years, traveling and experiencing life together. From my perspective David was in awe, wanting what even a super hero movie star cannot get from all the money in the world…"Inner-Wisdom." Master Yuen had it; even I knew that he had what I too wanted…to trust my inner-wisdom!

My friend asked a question that made me perk up, to listen carefully.

“What was the most significant moment in your 17 years of being friends?”

Carradine and Master Yuen both knew the answer to that question instantly.

Carradine said, “One day, after 17 years of friendship, Master Yuen reached over
and grabbed the "air" in front of my stomach, with his fist, and put it on himself.”

Carradine said, "I was completely shocked! In our 17 years together I had never seen him do anything like this."

Carradine said he asked his Master, “WHAT WAS THAT?”

Master Yuen said, “I took some of your Karma.

Carradine said, “Why?”

Master Yuen said, “How does it feel?”

Carradine said, “I don’t know?”

Master Yuen said, “Isn’t that better.” (smiling)

The smile the two shared after they told the story was full of humor,
love and wisdom helping me to understand what had happened. Master Yuen loved Carradine so much that he was willing to carry his burdens as his own.

I wondered how Carradine got the name Grasshopper on his TV show, Kung Fu? When I returned home I conducted a simple Google search and what I found caused chills...

[The first meeting between the young Caine and Master Po on Kung Fu:]

"Of all things, to live in darkness must be the worst." -young Caine

"Fear is the only darkness." -Master Po

"Never assume that because a man has no eyes, he cannot see." -Po

‘'Close your eyes. What do you hear?” -Po

“I hear the water. I hear the birds.” -young Caine

“Do you hear your own heartbeat?”

“No.”

“Do you hear the grasshopper at your feet?”

Caine opens his eyes and looks down at his feet to see a grasshopper there.

“Old Man, how is it that you hear these things?”

“Young Man how is it that you do not?”


My memoir "From Hollywood to God"  is now on Amazon and Kindle books!

Sneak-A-Peek Below!
My first stop was to The World Sound Healing Conference in San Francisco. I wanted to understand the science of frequencies, especially if everything in the universe was vibrating to their own unique song!

I waited in the large conference room to hear Dr. Susan Yale's lecture on the Harmonic Oscillator.

The room went black and three pyramids projected on a movie screen.


"You can hear the sound of "nature" between the Pyramids of Giza," Dr. Yale said, pausing, "it's a perfect F Sharp."

No one moved. She spoke slowly, "If you knew there was a place in the world where you could hear God, would you go?"

I always wanted to sleep on the Nile!"

~ from my Memoir, (click link—"From Hollywood to God"  Kelly Granite Enck on Amazon books and Kindle.
Giza, Egypt
Hiking through Bhutan

Tiger's Temple, Thailand
River Kwai, Thailand

The Kingdom of Bhutan


Peru
Tiger's Nest Bhutan

Click link— "From Hollywood to God"  to read the reviews!

1 comment:

  1. Aww, wow...
    Such a great story. The discipline involved in Kung Fu or any martial art for that matter is stuff mountains are made of. BIG! MAJESTIC! LIFE AFFIRMING!

    How great life is to be able to have stories like that...
    Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete

Kelly Granite Enck