How to Create a Zen Home

By Kelly Granite Enck
I have replaced worrying with "humor," this came about while remodeling our new condo.  I was so stressed out over the problems that rose up that I started eating fast while driving. Suddenly, a  Brazilian Nut lodged in my throat.  I could not breathe and began panicking. I raced to the nearest gas station while imagining my death was near, and at the funeral they were taking abut it.

"Did you hear?" "Kelly died yesterday. She chocked on a Brazilian Nut."


 I pulled up in front of a gas station, left the car running and ran in. I reached for my throat showing the gas attendant that I was choking.  The large woman behind the counter stood looking at me puzzled as she continued to eat her hot dog. I took a cup from the soda fountain and filled it with water. I started to drink it, and then barely made out the words, I'm choking on a nut. She laughed. I whispered struggling to speak, "I think you need to dial, 911." She ate calmly and said, "No, I don't. If you can still talk the air is getting in your lungs." With this, I calmed down, and the panic attack subsided as more and more air entered my lungs. I returned the next day with a bottle of wine to thank her. :)


While contemplating the nut blocking my air passage I made two conclusions- one, that I need to chew nuts before swallowing and two that I need to stop taking life so seriously. I have been missing millions of brilliant moments, while worrying about the myriad of things that could go wrong. 

Zen is a Japanese word, emphasizing the value of meditation and intuition, which can cross over in the space you live in. Everything in the home can have a meaning...... I am trying to slow down and contemplate what each object is saying.... what is each piece of furniture's goal, what does it represent  not only to my marriage, but to my family and friends when they visit.
I once had a "intuitive master" visit my apartment in the Marina District of San Francisco. He said, "No wonder you are single...Everything on your walls is drowning in depression!" "What?" I said, shocked! But, then I studied my walls, I was into dark medieval drawings, and I even had a modern painting of a man in the middle of the ocean alone on a raft. 
What was my environment saying? I was all alone, floating out at sea and my interests were the plaque and starvation….

Since then, my focus has been on creating a Zen Home. 
David and I had a dream to live on the ocean. Lucky for us David inherited a little money from his wild and humorous Uncle Ed, who was a bachelor. At the end of Ed's life, he had a large Tribeca Apartment Building, in NY City, with single women on every floor. And they were all in love with him. :)

Ed left everyone in the family enough money for a small down payment on a home. Thank you Ed!  We were able to turn it around into our Dream Home...

We found a mortgage broker and worked out how much we could afford. 

We have always loved Seascape, a giant "S-Shaped" architectural masterpiece on Jax Beach. As we walked into Seascape's business office to see if they had any condos for sale, a woman appeared with a "For Sale by Owner" sign. She took David and I up to the fourth floor and opened the door. There it was Our Dream Come True. We were looking straight out onto the Ocean!  Just then a flock of  Pelicans flew by in a giant V-formation! This was our new home I thought, and we shook hands instead of signing a contract to confirm the deal: A zen contract! :) I wanted to maintain my goal of staying a "Minimalist." My husband David,  a "Statistician" would say there was a little variation on my Zen Graph :)
Seascape Condo, the S paradise.
Inspiration for our bedroom!
We are picking out our granite for the bath and kitchen.
Tearing down the bedroom wall to open the view to the ocean and removing the cottage cheese ceiling.
I found this blooming mirror from Anthropology and a french vanity for my bathroom.
I found talking lover cabinet knobs
Sleeping to the Ocean's waves….

Our Living Room
Our Pool
Our backyard
Animals peeking around corners!


Karma cannot be real, if TIME does not exist, and Stephen Hawking said, there is no time just infinite probabilities occurring simultaneously. On a wilder note: Akashic Records of Machu Picchu, explain the disappearance of the natives in Machu Picchu as "mental advancement". They left earth after completing the lessons on "creating reality," which is said to be the final Earth's lesson, to become gods who create and take responsibility for the whole. Some left for other dimensions and some went into the earth. Interesting, I thought, and upon further investigating I was lead  to The World Sound Healing Conference in San Francisco to hear a lecture on The Quantum Harmonic Oscillator. The room went dark and three pyramids projected on a large screen.


"You can hear the sound of "nature" between the Pyramids of Giza," Dr. Susan Yale said, pausing, "it's a perfect F Sharp." No one moved. She spoke slowly, "If you knew there was a place in the world where you could hear God, would you go?" I always wanted to swim in the Nile. From my memoir, "From Hollywood to God" on Amazon and Kindle books. 
Giza, Egypt
Hiking through Bhutan

Tiger's Temple, Thailand
River Kwai, Thailand

Peru
Tiger's Nest Bhutan


Click link— "From Hollywood to God"  to read my memoir.
The Kingdom of Bhutan

Popular posts from this blog

Can "tree bark" Cure Cancer?