Is Caffeine an Excitotoxin and Bad for our Health?

 

There are experts who say that caffeine is an excitotoxin, which "excites our cells to death." Yikes!
I have been on the "raw food diet" for eight years, eating 75 percent of my diet live produce, like green juice and raw vegetables and fruit. This is the sexiest, I've ever felt on this diet.  Now,  I look for new ways to improve on this natural high I have felt. I read Dr. Amen's book, "Unleash the power of the female brain."  He says we should give up Caffeine all together, it's not health. I am trying to replace coffee with filtered water, which promises to unleash the power of my brain!!! :)

I have been drinking half my weight in ounces of filtered water. Dr. Amen is a Psychiatrist and a Neuroscientist, who is tired of doctors giving out drugs before correcting the overall problems, like our diet and hormones. The brain is the control center--everything starts with how much oxygen is getting to it. I am looking forward to experiencing my brain in 30 days, which is the magic number to real results. Today is day one, cold turkey on coffee, and alcohol.

Dr. Amen says every brain is different, depending on our exposures to toxins, healthy food or nurture or lack of— in childhood. He writes of a technique called ANTS in the brain, Automatic Negative Thoughts. In this process you name the thought, Blame, which takes your power away...Guilt Beating...ect. It's fun to look at thoughts and categorize them. I can dismiss them when logic is added. He said that the new hero in the future world,  will be the one with an IQ of a Million, not the one with a million dollars. Yet, I can imagine that you could have both with a sharp brain. According to Dr. Amens giving up caffeine and alcohol is the start. Here I go...:)


Caffeine disrupts the time neurons work and rest

Unlike cocaine, amphetamine, morphine, alcohol and nicotine, caffeine does not activate dopamine release (to D2 receptors), in the "pleasure centers" (the shell) of the nucleus accumbens, which are associated with addiction. The "addictive" properties of caffeine seem to be almost entirely connected to withdrawal symptoms.
IWith long periods of wakefulness adenosine accumulates in neurons as a result of ATP breakdown. Adenosine from inside the neurons is transported across cell membranes into the extracellular space. The A1 receptors of the basal nucleus neurons are particularly sensitive to the increased levels of adenosine, which increases potassium ion influx thereby hyperpolarizing (inhibiting) those neurons. Adenosine also reduces the activity of GABA neurons in the basal nucleus, thereby disinhibiting neurons in the preoptic/anterior hypothalamus which promote Slow-Wave Sleep (SWS) [BEHAVIORAL BRAIN RESEARCH 115:183-204 (2000)].



Popular posts from this blog

Can "tree bark" Cure Cancer?